Monday, September 27, 2010

Today my husband's father died. I looked up the word Father in the dictionary and this is what it said: "a man who has begotten a child; esp., a man as he is related to his child or children"

Kinda of a generic description for the one man who should have the most impact in your life. My father-in-law was not the kind of "father" I am used to being around. The pain I see in my husband's eyes upon realizing his father is dead is for what he cannot remember about his father. No fishing trips, no car rides, no baseball games in the backyard, no love and affection. At least that he can remember.

Maybe it has to do with being one of 6 boys, but how does a person have 6 kids and not be a "father"??

I dont know enough about my father-in-law to understand how you walk away from your kids. I know it works both ways and maybe my husband should have reached out to his dad, but I am not sure it would have been welcomed.

The one thing I hope my husband takes away from this is to tell your kids you love them, show your kids you love them no matter how old they get or no matter how old you get before it too late.

Just a quick shout out to my Father---- I love you dad :)

1 comment:

  1. Jackie, please send my condolances to Rodney. No matter what the relationship with one's dad, it's still rough when they pass away. I'll keep you all in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete