Sunday, December 12, 2010

Rose


I want you to meet Rose. She is my mom's mom and this is her high school graduation photo from 1933 when she was 18. Its weird how you just think of your grandma as this older lady who you saw a couple times a year when you went to visit. Its weird to think that at one time she was a teenager who was absolutely beautiful, who had boyfriends and girlfriends and who had hopes and dreams of her own.

I am sad to say I never really knew her and never took the time so sit and talk to her. I guess its because I was so young myself when she was alive and never really felt a connection to her, the way my kids feel towards my mom. The big difference is that she lived in Iowa while we lived in Illinois.

I wish I knew what she wanted to be when she grew up. I wish I knew what she liked to do, what hobbies she had, what movies she liked. What kinds of boys she liked, was it love at first site when she met my grandpa. What kinds of things did they do.

There was a fire at their house so there are not a lot of pictures of both of them. I would love to know what their wedding was like, what she wore.

The one thing I do know is that she raised a wonderful person who turned out to be my mom. If she was still here or if I could tell her one thing, it would be thank you for my mom, you would be really proud of her and how she turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment